Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Next New Thing

We spent a lot of time in this class talking about new media. About the technology that has been created and about how this trend is changing the face of the world. And yet, in a world where information is so easily acceptable and everyone can become their own journalist, the population remains highly uninformed.



For those of you who have never heard of the AP Wire, allow me to explain. Associated Press collects all the news, pretty much, and makes it available for subscribers. Many newspapers subscribe to the AP style and use the AP news and contribute.

Now, journalists and most journalism students have the advantage of having access to the AP wire. Now for my new type of new media, I believe that it should be made available to everyone. Actually I would like to take it one step further. It should be made that the option isn't even given. Just like certain computers come with certain programs; Twitter, Facebook, Google Networks, and other forms of social media should come with the AP wire already in them. Making it almost impossible for the average human not to know what is going on.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea for those who do not usually read the news. If the news are placed right in front of us, we will read it at least once a day to know what's going on outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is the first time I've heard of AP and it seems as if this will just increase the speed at which we will receive our news which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very good idea. Many news sites try to get information to us quickly, but usually fail and or put their own spin on various topics. I for one would like to have the AP wire on my favorite social networking sites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the notion of removing ignorance from a list of excuses but I think that it can get tricky when one organization has a monopoly on the news filter - even if it is the Associated Press. That being said, I definitely wouldn't mind having free access to the AP, Agence France, or Reuters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post +followed

    ReplyDelete