Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Privacy

Interestingly enough, in addition to this class I am also taking a course in computer ethics.

Now how does privacy and confidentiality relate to new media?

Well how far is too far?With  new media, especially  social media it is hard to tell when you have crossed the line.

Let's say I see you doing something inappropriate and I decided to pot it on Facebook. Well is that wrong? Do you have the right for me not to do that?

Facebook is littered with pictures of people in compromising positions posted by said person's "friends".

In all the sparkle of new media we forget that we might be doing things to people, or them to us, that are ... well not right.

You have to be careful in this site. I mean everyone airs their business all over, which I guess that is fine for them but what about if someone else does it? Or how does someone else use it?

To give an example of privacy, a close friend of the family passed away, and about a year after his death his wife goes onto Facebook to find that some people she knows just uploaded pictures with him in them. She was extremely upset by it.

It is a slippery slope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm taking a class in computer ethics this term as well. I wonder if you're in my class. I personally believe there's no line in the new media since it's still relatively new. There have to be someone who set the line.

    ReplyDelete